Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Youth Conference

Last weekend Tom and I got away. . . to Youth Conference. I serve in the Young Womens and Tom serves in the Young Mens (which means all his vacation days are spent at camps this summer).Frisbee football and swimming kept us active and Missionary Fear Factor kept us on our toes. We had missionaries that served in different missions come talk about the culture and share a typical dessert from their country. As many of you returned missionaries can commiserate, many times on your mission, out of respect, you have to eat dishes that aren't exactly appetizing. This is what our "missionaries" had to eat:


Chicken Feet and Cow Tongue
Among other things, they also had to stick their hands in a bag full of crickets and sample baby food blindfolded (it was peas). Frisbee Football, Swimming, Speed Tournaments, hiking, and for me, cooking the food, kept us very busy.

Tom won over the hearts of many because, according to him, he lives in Neverland and never grew up. Girls and boys alike fought for his attention, while I slaved away with the meals.  Do I sound bitter? Overall, it was a huge success and it was fun to be up there together. Oh, by the way, my mom watched Porter.

3 comments:

Layne and Kelly Nelson said...

I'm so glad you posted about youth conference! It looks like everyone had fun! I'm sorry you had to be stuck in the kitchen most of the time, you're such a good sport.

It doesn't surprise me at all that all the kids love Tom. I think both of you were meant to serve with the youth.

Ali said...

I love Syndermill (did I spell that right?). I grew up camping there with my ward/stake. What German "dish" did Tom share or discuss to frighten them? Last summer, our neighbors fed us white bratwursts. You had to squeeze them from their outer layer of skin... SO GROSS. The visual alone, made me gag. Weisswurst. Ask Tom about them.

Carrie said...

I am learning more and more why our hubbies like to hang out with each other so much! I am sorry your vaca days and weekend away had to be with tons of youth--that's not exactly romantic :) Glad that stress is over though--no more food planning for a while right?