Although it is Christmas and I have much to catch up on from our various past activities, I first must address what has been on my mind lately when one of my extended family members, who will remain nameless, made a comment about Utah Mormons. Mind you this was not the first time my family has been singled out as being "Utah Mormons", and I am certain it will not be the last. So forgive me for my defensive comments which are probably not in the Christmas spirit of things, but this is the source through which I wish to vent. I am a Utah Mormon, and there is NOTHING wrong with that. Since when did it become okay for Mormons to negatively classify other members of their own faith based upon their geographic location? We are all trying to live and practice the same religion are we not? I will never forget my first Sunday down at BYU when my Sunday School Teacher made negative comments about those "Utah Mormons". Before this time, I had failed to realize the rift between the Mormons in Utah and those outside of Utah. And I have never felt more uncomfortable and unwelcome than I did when I attended my grandparents ward in New Jersey when I announced that I was from Utah. I felt like a pariah and was horrified when the members openly made negative comments about Mormons from Utah right in front of me. And it was very difficult for me not to get up and leave. Now don't get me wrong, I am not trying to criticize them, I am only trying to point out the injustice of this classification. (as a side note allow me to point out that our beloved Prophet is as Utah Mormon as well) Aren't we all in this together? This past year and a half has really opened my eyes and made me so much more compassionate for people and their situations. Life is hard. We all have our own battles to fight and we certainly don't need others criticizing the way we fight them. Especially not those that should be rooting for us to succeed rather than pointing out reasons why we deserve to fail. Sometimes, even when you feel as though you have done everything as best as you could, things don't turn out the way you think they should. That doesn't necessarily mean you did something wrong. I will be the first to admit my guilt in this. When children went wayward or boys came home from their missions, I unrightfully passed judgement and tried to place the blame on someone for this failure. As some of these experiences have hit a little closer to home, I have been very humbled. None of us know the intent of anyone's heart and none of us know the circumstances. Utah Mormon or not, we are all trying to do the best we can. My hope is that I may be more aware of my thoughts and words and try to offer feelings of love and compassion, rather than criticism. And to all of those people that do think differently of "Utah Mormons", I only wish you would realize we are all doing the best we can.
Monday, December 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Well said. You never know that someone else has faced or had to go through. Judging is the worst thing you can do!!!
We must have the same family members...Very well said!
it's funny because It is so true! I love how people out side of utah say they are living in the mission field and that Utah is not apart of that somehow... I'm in NJ with Scott's fam right now, and they are all like that! You know I never quite figured out what made me a different kind of mormon from them, that's probably because... drum roll please...I'm not.
We hear people badmouthing Utah all the time here and it makes us so sad because #1- we are from Utah #2- we love Utah and #3- what makes someone a better or worse mormon just because of where they live. Those comments are pet peeves of ours.
I like what you said about judging others.
wow! That must have felt good to get off your chest. I completely agree with what you said and aren't we all just trying to do our best? I think so.
Post a Comment