Sunday, August 23, 2009

Growing Fast

My little boy is growing up so fast!! This is all for my own memory's sake. He is a crack up lately. He loves to bounce like Tigger (although as Justin points out, he doesn't understand that to actually jump, both feet have to leave the ground, so instead he does this goofy squatty to tip toe thing). He parrots everything I or anyone else says. The other day I said, "Oh my gosh Porter, you got poop everywhere!" And I heard that sentence repeated about 20 times that day. Porter is on this new mean kick. He likes to tell people they are being mean. I have no idea where that came from! My mom has a DVD player in her car and he loves riding in there to watch shows. The other night they took him to dinner with them while Tom and I celebrated our anniversary. As soon as they turned on the movie, he just kept saying, "Coming Soon." Perhaps he has been watching movies to much? The other morning Tom brought Porter in to cuddle with me while he got ready for work. Porter climbed into bed kissed me on the forhead, said, "Love you Mama" and snuggled in next to me. And the final reason why Porter seems to be growing up too fast is because the time seems to be now for the dreaded. . . POTTY TRAINING! From my research, he has all the signs of being ready and that combined with the leaking through his diaper three times a day mean I should probably start. Wish me luck. Any of you who have little boys you have potty trained, I welcome the advice.
On another note, I realize oftentimes in my life things are not the way they seem. And I often assume things about people or their situations that may or may not be true. My goal for now is to try to catch myself before thought like that go through my head. I don't know peoples personal situations/struggles/etc. and I have not right to judge how good or bad their lives are. That is my personal goal for now.

5 comments:

Ali said...

I like reading about the Porter-isms! That's such a great picture of him too!

I don't have experience potty training a little boy, but I'm a fan of the timer method. Let him run around nudey for a bit and then when the timer dings, place him on his potty. Give him a book or put him in front of a show... if he loses interest and doesn't need to go, let him go about his business until the timer dings again (every 10 or 15 mins) and then repeat the process. Once Eliza actually went on the potty I didn't need the timer anymore because the connection had been made. Another incentive: I taped a sucker high on the wall and told her it was hers as soon as she put pee in the potty. She was a few months over two when we I started the process(I waited until we moved) but if Porter seems ready then go for it! As I'm sure you've heard, if they're ready, it will surprise you how easy it is.

Carrie said...

"Coming soon"--that it way funny!!

Good luck with the potty training. It was a long road for Bentley (mostly because of poops) but patience and consistency helped us get it done. I'd suggest you just plan on not going anywhere for about a week so you can be home and ready for the toilet at any given moment.

Natalie said...

Porter is so stinkin' cute! Good luck with the potty training! I bought linc a potty just to look at and play with. He likes watching Scott is that TMI??? But he has no interest and I didn't think he would, but I heard about the timer method and that it works really well. Have fun!!!!!!

calicobirdie said...

yikes. We're at the same stage with Bea. I've discovered my limit is two accidents in a row. Then I'm done for the day. So much for consistency, huh? Good luck.

Krista said...

good luck with porter and potty training. Can he please teach Kai his new toilet fun when he figures it out.