Monday, February 1, 2010

Inevitable

I am grateful to have the understanding of this gospel and know that death isn't the end, but I have always had difficulty with the inevitability of death. Sister Kirksel Pugh, my neighbor since I was 8 years old, passed away this morning at the age of 98. We knew this day had been coming for a long time, but I don't even think the certainty of death makes it any easier. Growing up, she and her husband had a profound impact on my life. They had been married for 72 years and somehow grew to love each other more everyday. I can't imagine the loneliness one feels when that is taken away. They were the prime examples of love, charity, kindness, faith, and enduring to the end. Their only child was taken from them at the age of 21 so they had always been a grandparent figure in our lives. As a child, and even now, I believe they are as close to what our Heavenly Parents are like as anyone living on this earth could be. It brings me to tears every time I think of them and President Pugh fianlly having to be separated from her. Talk about a love that endures as he has taken care of his ailing wife for the past couple of years. I have many fond memories of them and feel blessed to have known them and been able to witness their example. My dear dad is taking this one pretty hard I think because he has been serving them for the past couple of years and has grown extremely close: picking them up for church, fixing their cable tv constantly, delivering their yearly apple crate gifts, taking out their garbage cans and just looking out for their overall well being. He helped carry her body out of the room after she had passed and spent much of the morning with them. It has been a wonderful testimony strengthener to me to watch him lovingly, quietly and faithfully serve but I will publically boast about what a great man his is and what a wonderful example he has been.
Not to cheapen the tone of this post, but going along with the title, the last English ferret passed away today as well.
For those that are stumbling across my blog, Sister Pugh's funeral will on Monday at 12:00 am at 5450 S. Holladay Blvd.

5 comments:

Erika said...

So sorry, Jess. That is hard to lose someone so close.

For me, dying is a hard thing to deal with. Unfortunately, my parents are dealing with the death of two missionaries in their mission. So sad. You know they are in a better place, but it doesn't make it easier for those left here.

We miss you!

Rachel Leta said...

I just wanted to say thanks for this. I stumbled on it while looking to see if they'd posted Kirksel's obituary yet. Kirksel was my great-great aunt, and very much a great grandma to me and my family. She was at almost every family gathering I can remember growing up, always there with her sweet smile and giggle and a warm hug for everyone. Thanks for all you and your family have done for our family.

Joan said...

I too stumbled across your blog while searching for Sister Pugh's obituary. President and Sister Pugh were Mission Presidents here in Ireland when I joined the Church in 1979. She was the very definition of an Elect Lady and I have such fond memories of her. I was also lucky enough to meet them often over the years including attending some of the annual Mission reunions held in their honour every summer. I wonder how many other Mission Presidents are still having Mission reunions over 30 years after they returned from their Mission? Please pass my condolences on to President Pugh.

Joan Hannick- Dublin, Ireland

Ali said...

What a meaningful tribute and important reminder of what it means to really love someone. I'm sure their separation will be hard for your neighbor and family. They've been blessed to have you and your family next door to love and care about. I'm sorry for your losses!

Unknown said...

Marvin Pugh was my mission president. Sr. Pugh was always at his side. On the other side she inevitably had a space heater.

President Pugh married my wife and I in the SLC Temple. Thanks for this blog as I could not find much information on Kirksel's passing.