Well folks, you are looking at the new Cub Scouts Den Mother for the Bears. Yes that is right, my new calling is scouts. Isn't that a man's job? I don't even know how to tie a knot. I'm in charge of the colorguard this month for Pack Meeting. Never done it in my life. And I get to go to cub country. While I would like to believe I was meant for this calling, I think really I was the only one that would say yes. Apparently this is a hard calling to fill in our ward. I don't have the faintest idea why :) I'm sure Porter will be in heaven! Oh, and since most of you have never or probably won't ever have the wonderful chance of getting this calling, yes I do indeed get to wear the yellow cubscout shirt. I know you are all so jealous of me right now!
Oh, and on those resolutions? So far, I have crafted, played and exercised. As for the sleeping, not so much. If any mother out there has any suggestions, I'm open. Over the past couple of months I've tried the 'Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child', the "progressive waiting" according to the Ferber method, the cry-it-out method, not allowing him to take longer than half hour naps during the day (this one isn't hard because he rarely sleeps longer than that most days), early bed-times, late bed-times, a very strict bedtime routine, and even co-sleeping on the really hard nights. I am at a loss and so far so is my doctor. The only thing I think is that it is TEMPER, but something has got to give. Any suggestions are welcome, PLEASE!
Wednesday, January 12, 2011
My New Calling
Posted by Jess at 8:03 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Oh, please take a picture of you in the yellow shirt. Good luck, that does sound like a hard calling! I have another book, that I actually never read but just skimmed through, if you want to read it. My neighbor gave it to me when Noah was having such sleep problems. It seems like what made a huge difference for Noah was him sleeping with his little blanket. Then if he woke up he would cuddle with it. It took some time for it really to take effect but now he's way attached and I think it helps. And, I think early bedtime has made a big difference for us too. I started just working with him on the morning nap at first and once we got that down worked more on the afternoon one. Sorry, I guess I had a lot to say about that.
I had that calling!! And while I never fell in love with that particular calling, I fell in love with the little Bears that I worked with each week. I'm with Ang; Post a yellow shirt picture!
I doubt I have any new tips to suggest in regards to the sleeping problem. I just know that the best piece of advice I received came from Eliza's first pediatrician. He told me, when she was still really little, to cuddle her at bedtime, have our routine, but put her down in her crib when she was still awake. That way they learn to self soothe on their own. If they wake up crying and they were old enough not to need a feeding, I'd wait five or ten minutes to see if they could fall asleep without my help. When I had to intervene, it was the bare minimum - especially the older they were. Start young... however, if you have a child with reflux or tummy pains you don't have that option. They need more help because of the pain they're experiencing (I'm guessing). Some babies find great comfort in white noise; whether it's the heater turning on or a machine, that might help?! And obviously, I'm a huge fan of the pacifier/comfort item. Once they are old enough, I'd put three extra pacifiers in the crib so they'd have an easy time finding one to put back in their mouth. Henry's poor teeth... they are wrecked. There is always a con.
Cutting out naps wouldn't work with my kids at that age. Even now,If I delay bedtime, they become so ornery from being tired that they fight it.
Say lots of prayers. An idea/solution might jump into your head unexpectedly.
Thanks guys. My child won't accept any comfort item: no blankies and no binkies. Porter never liked those either. naughty boys. Hopefully this is just something we will grow out of. Last night the crying it out was like 1 hour, I finally fell asleep after that so I'm not sure how much longer it went on. Good thing Porter is a deep sleeper.
I had that calling when Maddie was a baby! They said, 'Well you said you had 5 brothers, so we thought you'd know all about Scouts!" Yeah, right! You will look so hot in your yellow shirt though--cause you look gorgeous in everything! Just cinch it with a fancy belt! haha :)
No advice for sad baby though. I'm sorry he's so naughty!
My advice? Sell him to the gypsies!! Ha ha. That always enters my mind when my kids are naughty. I'm so sorry. That must be terribly frustrating. It is always hard too because I can handle a crying baby, but usually feel bad keeping the whole house up so I cave in a lot of times instead of letting them cry it out (I can't even imagine the hours on end). Good luck.
Congrats on being a den mother. My cousin, Honey just wrote on her last blog entry how she hopes she never gets that calling because it is so intimidating:). You'll be great.
Japan earthquake may push oil prices higher
The quake forced the shutdown of several oil refineries and some nuclear power plants in Japan. If they can't reopen soon, the country probably will want to import more gasoline, diesel and jet fuel.
Cheap Coach Handbags
Coach Bags
Coach Outlet
Coach online
cheap Coach purses
Post a Comment