So let me back track a little. Tom didn't ever get his sinus surgery so he ended up with another sinus infection last week. He was put on antibiotics and we thought that would be the end of it, but of course in our family it wasn't. We like to frequent Dr. Payne weekly. On Saturday he thought his tongue felt swollen but didn't think much of it. Well early Monday morning he felt really itchy and when he checked he had what we thought were hives on his chest and upper thighs. He called my grandpa who changed his antibiotics and prescribed him an antihistimine (10 total pills cost us $70!) I talked to him while he was at work and he was really complaining. I thought he was just being a ninny and told him he needed to stay at work. Well, he came home and when I got home from work that afternoon I could see why. His face, his back, his stomach, his neck, his toes, well let's just say everywhere was covered in this rash. The only other time I remember seeing someone's face like this was when Whitney was allergic to her face lotion in Jr. High. (I know some of you know what I'm talking about) He slept for a while and when he woke up we took his temperature of 102. I told my mom this and she didn't think a temperature could be associated with hives so she called good old Dr. Payne again. He was still at work at this time so I rushed him down there. When Tom took off his shirt my grandpa said that wasn't hives and went next door to get the dermatologist to come look. I won't go into more detail, but we have established that Tommy is allergic to Penicillin! They gave us an epipen in case he wakes up and can't breath or swallow (nice and comforting!) and gave us some other meds to help the itching. Apparantly oftentimes your first allergic reaction isn't usually that bad, but now he needs to be careful because another dose of it could end him up in the emergency room. It pays to know people in the medical field that's for sure but hopefully we can avoid frequenting that place from now on!
Monday, November 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
wow! That's freaky. I'm glad you had the dr. close at hand. Get better tommy! Have you tried the Neti Pot. I make Johnny use it. I love that thing. Very natural too.
I started to itching imaginary hives as I read your post. I'm glad the diagnosis was made. Is he going to end up getting the sinus surgery after all?
Feel better, Tom!
Oh my gosh, how scary! I'm glad you figured it out in time!!!
Sorry to hear about the hive action, Tom. Hope you get over it quickly, friend. If not, I at least hope you get a superpower out of it. Beeman, maybe?
Sorry, that's penicillin action, not hive action. I did read the post. Maybe you could be Penman and squirt ink out of your ears.
That is so scary! I'm glad he's okay. It would be no bueno if his tongue was swollen for ribfest tomorrow.
Post a Comment