Monday, December 21, 2009

Santa Claus

So to respond to a question posed by some bloggers out there (you know who you are), here is my short but concise defense of Santa Claus:

"Yes, VIRGINIA, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus.. . Nobody sees Santa Claus, but that is no sign that there is no Santa Claus. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see."
(Take time to read the most reprinted editorial ever to run in any newspaper in the English language.)

I think adults need Santa Claus more than children do. He gives us an excuse to enter into the magic of Christmas and see it through a child's eyes. There is nothing more magical than watching a child get caught up in the magic of Christmas.

And from Miracle on 34th Street:
Dorey Walker: "I don't think that there's any harm in not believing in a figure that many do acknowledge to be fiction."
Kris Kringle: "Oh, but there is. I'm not just a whimsical figure who wears a charming suit and affects a jolly demeanor. I'm a symbol of the human ability to be able to suppress the selfish and hateful tendencies that rule the major part of our lives. If... you can't believe, if you can't accept anything on faith, then you're doomed for a life dominated by doubt. "

David O. McKay said, "It is glorious thing to have Old St. Nicholas in our hearts and in our homes today, whether he enters the latter through open door or creeps down the chimney on Christmas Eve. To bring happiness to others without seeking personal honor or praise by publishing it is a most commendable virtue."

One of the most memorable figurines I remember growing up is that of Santa Clause, hat in hand, leaning over the manger of baby Jesus. Could there be a more perfect depiction of what Christmas is all about?

In our family, we will forever celebrate the magic of Christmas and Santa, never forgetting the true meaning of Christmas which is the birth of our Savior.





3 comments:

Laura said...

Could not have been more well said Jess, nice job!

Ang said...

Perfect quotes to prove the point!

Andrew said...

Thanks for the post, Jessica. I've enjoyed reading the many takes on the issue, including yours. And I appreciated your support--I like how you back up your opinions.
I agree with all of the quotes you wrote and what you said. While Santa is not going to be part of the Marshall Family belief system, we will honor what Santa represents: giving, virtue, and love. I like the idea of discussing what he represents, and who he was historically. But I still have yet to be persuaded that I should teach my children that he is real. I look forward to the fun that Christmas will be with little ones, and am not opposed to pretending about Santa with my kids, as long as they know it is a game. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts. In the end we're thinking along similar lines--have fun at Christmas but place the emphasis of all thoughts, words, and actions on the Savior. Porter and the next little one are lucky little boys to have such a strong, wise mother.