Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Porter

Porter is quite an exceptional child, I must say, although I am his mother which warrants bragging rights, right?  On Sunday he gave his 3rd talk in Primary since January.  The week before in church was magical as he got to fill in for someone to give the scripture and prayer and then his name was chosen for the talk  And to top it off, he got to somehow help lead the primary in singing "Praise to the Man", which in case you didn't know, is his all time FAVORITE song.  Whose kid is this?   Seriously?  He gave a talk about about Ammon who "cut off their arms" and did quite well at memorizing it I must say, especially for a 3 year old.


Cousins Roasting Marshmallows
LeBaron Family Night at the Sundance Cabin

 Porter has fooled me into thinking that I must be this incredibly spiritual mother as he often chooses his bed time stories to be about scripture stories and is constantly asking doctrinal questions that I sometimes feel totally inadequate to answer.  Last night we joined some of the LeBarons up at the Sundance Cabin.  To me, spending time with family and having a nice family prayer counted as Family Night right?  (especially since Tommy is training in California for his new job)  Well, to Porter it did not.  We spent half the car ride home yesterday crying because we didn't get to do our usual FHE with a lesson from our book and song.  Yes, I said CRYING!  I finally got him to settle down with the story of King Benjamin which he had been begging to hear for a few days now.  Again I ask, whose child is this?  Here is one of Porter's more poignant observations to date:

As a precursor, We had a lesson on ways to serve others and one of the ways we came up with was to be a good listener.

Porter:  Mom, why isn't Jillian (his school mate and one of his best friends) listening to me?  That's not being good at service.
Me:  Well, people don't always have to listen to everything you say.  Sometimes people choose not to listen.
Porter:  Like Satan, he wasn't a good listener?
Me:  Well yes, since Satan doesn't choose the right I guess that would make him bad at listening.
Porter:  Who else isn't a good listener and doesn't choose the right?
Me:  I guess people that don't want to follow God's Plan are not good listeners.
Porter:  Oh, so like Traitors and Tyrants, right?  ("Praise to the Man")

I feel grateful for such a sweet boy that keeps me spiritually in check by being the prayer and FHE police.  At least it keeps me doing what I am suppose to.

2 comments:

Krista said...

Man, that porter is going to help you all right into heaven. :)

Flori said...

What a funny kid. Rob was jealous when he saw the cabin/s'more pictures because it made him remember making S'mores with Tom and what fun they had. I don't think those two are good for each other....

We're so happy about Tom's job and hope he'll love it!