Monday, February 11, 2008

RSV

The test results are in. . . Porter has RSV. Life is so ironic sometimes. When Porter was first born, I took him everywhere, Jazz games, the Mall, etc. Let's just say I wasn't the most cautious new mom. After the first month, Tom and I decided that maybe we needed to be a little more cautious with him so I stopped taking him places. For the past two weeks Porter has hardly left the house. Well it doesn't appear that being cautious did any good. We took Porter to the Pediatrician today and it turns out that he has RSV. Porter must love the doctor because he is so happy every time we take him there even when he is sick. RSV isn't surprising according to him because almost all babies with colds end up having RSV. It can last up to two weeks and since it is a virus, there is basically nothing you can do for it. We need to be on 24 hour watch and monitor his breathing. We also have a standing invitation to the Respiratory Clinic in the new IHC hospital. We can take him in whenever we want to get his nose suctioned. He has a hard time eating because he is worried he will aspirate fluid if he drinks, so he chooses to breath rather than eat. We are supposed to try to feed him an ounce every hour. If we can't get him to eat or he isn't getting enough oxygen, he will have to be admitted to the hospital where they will hook him up to an IV and give him oxygen. Luckily, his oxygen is still at 94% and his lungs look good. He is a big boy (14 pounds!) so he is putting up a good fight. Since we are already into this thing 4 days, we may be at the worst point right now. Let's hope so because it is awful to see your baby cough so hard that he throws up and be powerless to help him.

5 comments:

Ali said...

Oh dear. He is in my prayers, Jess. What a horrible thing for a new baby and for new parents. Keep us updated on his progress.

Lindsey said...

i'm so sorry! i hope he gets better soon!

Christi said...

Oh Jess! I'm so sorry! Josh has only been sick once, and it was terrible. What a scary time for you and your family! We will remember little Porter in our prayers, is there anything I can do?

Carrie said...

No way Jess. How did they diagnose it today and not yesterday? Poor little man--hang in there guys. I guess we really will see you in March :)

Krista said...

So sorry Jess. That would be so hard. It's like you forget that really happens until someone close to you gets it! I hope he gets better really soon.