Wednesday, February 27, 2008

SLAP FACE

Although a picture would certainly support my title, I am not willing to reveal my face at this point.  I must confess that I am completely out of shape and I have a very young baby, but I selfishly decided to take a break from real life and spend the day skiing with my family (minus Tom who is forbidden by the doctor and myself to ski at this point since his last expedition left him with a broken collar bone and me with two kids to take care of).  It was a beautiful day and the sun was out which led to an awesome uneven sunburn on my face.  My cheeks are bright red but since I was wearing goggles I got absolutely no color anywhere else.  When Tom came home from work, he told me I looked like I had slap face.  Now let me explain.  My seven year old cousin was just diagnosed with "slap face".  Yes, it is an actual disease.  The most common name for it is slapped cheek syndrome because the cheeks are bright red as if they have been slapped, but it is also called Fifth's Disease because it is the fifth main childhood illness (Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Chickenpox, and Fifths).  Not that I know exactly where I am going with this blog, but I was so interested in this illness because I have never heard of it in my life and after researching it on the internet, I've found that 60% or more of adults have had this at one time.  (This obviously demonstrates to everyone else that either I have far too much time on my hands or that I am now a paranoid freak of a mother since my child had RSV and am concerned about every illness a child can get).  

7 comments:

Erika said...

I have heard of it! One of my students had it last year, and apparently when they first get it, it can be bad if you are around a pregnant woman. So his mom let me know in case I was pregnant...which I obviously wasn't! I didn't know it was the same as "slap face" though. Interesting! Sorry you got sunburned, but fun that you got to go.

Maggie said...

I had never heard of that until I was a mom and now I know tons of diseases thanks (or no thanks) to the internet.

Ali said...

I've never heard of that before either...Hooray for WEBMD - my medical website of choice.

I am glad you were able to get away for a minute and ski!!

Flori said...

WE'VE heard of it, becaue WE just had it!! (Well, M and E had it!) M got it the worst because of her sensitive skin. Her whole body looked slapped!
Hope it goes away soon.

KACI JOHNSON said...

Jess, I wish you a pic of your face to show. I have never in my life heard of that disease, but that doesn't really say much! What a funny disease. What causes it?

steele life said...

Hey Jess. I used to sit by you in concert choir, My maiden name was stevens, sara stevens. but it is so fun to see you and your family. Congrat's on your baby. he is so cute! you can look at my blog if you want to samandsarasteele.blogspot.com

Shelly said...

I haven't ever heard of that, and it is weird that I haven't seeing that 60% of people have it at one point in their life! I love ski goggle burns! you have to post a picture!! PLEASE!!